Modular jewelry designs can be adapted to match any inspiration, context or color combination. The necklace featured in this post was inspired by the deep red of fresh summer cherries, and the dusty pink fabric of one of my favorite cotton dresses.
To find the perfect match, “collage” a few modular pieces together to see how they look.
To build a necklace, begin by attaching one charm to a base strand.
If a layered look is desired, stack other charms – in different materials, shapes, and sizes, on top of your base strand.
Cluster a few crystal drops on top for even more dimension.
After attaching your chams, connect your desired crystal insert strand to the same clasp you used to attach your charm layers.
finish your necklace by connecting the loose ends in back with a hook-up clasp or chain extender.
Mix and match your modullar pieces to match any outfit!
To give you the best step-by-step tutorials, modular building directions, and easy to follow design ideas, many Lace Exoskeleton blog posts include a scroll-over photo gallery. To view the text corresponding to each image, scroll over each picture, one at a time (or view as a slideshow). This allows you to choose the format that works best for you – whether you are a visual learner, or someone who requires detailed verbal explanations. Along with our upcoming series of video tutorials, you can use the images, text, and videos as a guide for creating and even submitting your own modular design ideas.
This necklace was created using the following modular elements:
(1) 10″ asymmetrical chain base strand – pink enameled brass with Swarovski crystal accent heart clasp; available in following base set color themes: cupcake & glamour, as well as by itself in our “chain strands” section (10″ enamelled brass anklet/necklace base strand).
(2) Swarovski crystal “truly in love” heart pendant in lilac shadow (corresponds with “orchid” color palette/theme, under our “themed” pendant/charm sets).
(3) Swarovski crystal accent butterfly charm (gold, crystal AB); available in our collection of mixed media charm sets.
(4) Two Swarovski crystal beaded droplet charms (orchid color palette), available as part of the orchid color palette, or in a set of 6 droplets in our “charm sets” section.
(5) 8″ bold crystal beaded insert strand (orchid color palette); available in both the deluxe and bold “orchid” base sets.
(6) Heart tab chain extender/hook up clasp, available in the “clasps” section of our sstore.